State Active Duty FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions

1.   Who has authority to place me in State Active duty?

Per statute, the Governor has authority to activate soldiers into State Active Duty. The Commissioner of Department of Military and Veterans Affairs/The Adjutant General is delegated this authority for activation in the event of wildfires.

Per Governor's General Order Number 2020-02 (March 13, 2020) — authority has been extended to the Adjutant General to activate forces of the organized militia.

2.   Will I be in federal status when activated into State Active Duty?

No, when called into State Active Duty by the Governor of Alaska or the Adjutant General, you are called up for a state-level mission specifically under state authority and state funding. This is the situation when your governor utilizes the Alaska Organized Militia (AKOM) purely within the jurisdiction of a state-specific, state-managed mission, such as in response to a wildfire or state natural disaster.

3.   Will I be a State of Alaska employee when activated into State Active Duty?

No.  Although you will complete paperwork for compensation purposes, you are not a state employee.  You are considered a member of the Alaska Organized Militia (AKOM).

4.   What is the pay scale for State Active Duty?

Activated organized militia members are entitled to receive for each day for active service pay in an amount equal to the pay received by a member of the regular armed forces. 2021 State Active Duty Pay Rates. The commander in conjunction with the J1 will determine if the Service Member is qualified for incentive pay and will be performing the duties associated with their duty status (MOS).

5.   Will I be paid COLA, BAH, and BAS?

6.   Will my pay and allowances be subject to federal tax?

Yes. When called into State Active Duty, all pay and allowances are subject to federal tax. Although the active military pay scale and allowance chart are utilized for pay calculation, all pay and allowances are taxed at the federal tax rate. This is different than when a member is in Title 10 or Title 32 status.  Title 10 and Title 32 are Federal, and certain allowances are not taxed.  StAD is an activation by the Governor in a State status and all pay and allowances are taxable.

7.   What paperwork is required by the State of Alaska prior to being placed into State Active Duty?

8.   What personal identification will I need to provide with the on-boarding paperwork?

To complete the I-9 (Employment Eligibility Verification), you must provide a passport or two forms of identification. The two forms of identification would include a Drivers License AND Social Security Card or a Military ID AND Social Security Card. Please see form for other acceptable identification documents. This is a federal form and there is no exception to the acceptable identification and/or identification combinations.

Remember to bring your beneficiaries Social Security number for the designation of beneficiary for unpaid compensation. If you do not have a beneficiary or you do not have your beneficiary's Social Security number, you may elect to have unpaid compensation paid to your estate.

9.   How will I receive my pay?

Direct deposit is the fastest and most convenient way to receive pay. You must bring a canceled check or form from your bank when completing the on-boarding paperwork. This is an optional form, so if you choose to not complete this form or do not have the required banking information, a paper check will be cut and mailed to the address provide on your paperwork.

10.   Will I receive a Leave and Earnings Statement (LES)?

No.  StAD is a State activation.  A Federal LES will not be generated.  The State of Alaska Payroll System is unable to duplicate the federal government’s LES. A State of Alaska pay stub is available by contacting the employee call center at 907-465-3009 or email at

11.   Who do I contact if my pay doesn't look correct?

Contact the Administrative Assistant at 907-428-7207 located within the Division of Administrative Services or email

12.   Where do I view my pay stub?

The most efficient method for an activated soldier to receive pay stub information is to contact the employee call center at 907-465-3009 or email at The State of Alaska has an online Employee Self Service portal; however, you would need to know your employee ID# and have a password set up prior to utilizing the portal. In many activation situations, you may not have access to a computer or have all the information necessary to view through the portal. The employee call center can assist.

13.   Who do I talk to about my retirement benefits?

Please contact the Department of Administration Division of Retirement and Benefits at 1-800-821-2251 for assistance.

Alaska Department of Administration - Contact Us Page

14.   What happens if I get injured while on State Active Duty?

You are required to notify your supervisor immediately and complete the Employee Report of Occupational Injury or Illness Form. This form should be submitted immediately but no later than 30 days following the injury. Until this form is completed, a worker's compensation claim is not filed.

15.   Who do I ask if I have questions on completing this form?

Please call DMVA Division of Administrative Services: Click on State Active Duty.

16.   Who can answer questions on my claim?

Once an Employee Report of Occupational Injury or Illness to Employer is filed, all questions regarding the claim must be directed to the Third-Party Claims Administrator — Penser North America, Inc.

PO Box 241148
Anchorage, AK 99524
Toll Free: 1-844-463-2727
Main: 907-313-7650
Fax: 907-302-3803

17.   Who would I report an injury to?

Injuries should be reported to your immediate supervisor and DMVA Division of Administrative Services: Click on State Active Duty.

It is imperative for Supervisors to report any overnight hospitalizations or fatalities of their staff within 8 hours of the occurrence.

18.   Will I be able to stay on State Active Duty if injured?

  • Returning to State Active Duty will depend on the extent of the injury and/or release for duty by a licensed physician.
  • If injured and unable to work due to the injury, the Service Member will be placed on unpaid State Active Duty Orders until released back to duty by their treating physician.

19.   Who is able to explain the worker's compensation process?

Please visit the State of Alaska Department of Administration, Division of Risk Management Website. If you have additional questions on completing forms, about the status of a claim, or wish to request a Risk Management Claims Manual, please contact Risk Management at (907) 465-2180.

20.   How long will the State of Alaska Department of Administration keep my enrollment packet on file?

The enrollment packets are good for one year at the Department of Administration Division of Personnel and Labor Relations. If the service member is continuously working into the new year they would not be required to complete a new packet upon activation. Service members should review their packets for accuracy whenever a life event or change in status occurs.

21.   What if I don’t have a voided check or want to use a savings account? What other banking documentation could I attach?

Some financial institutions offer online verification of account number (required) and routing number (required). Please visit your financial institution website for more information.

22.   How often will I be paid?

Effective June 1, 2020, the State of Alaska has transitioned to a bi-weekly payroll. Please see attached payroll calendar for scheduled pay dates. If you have specific questions, please contact Division of Administrative Services for assistance.

State Payroll Calendar Biweekly 2021

23.   Does the State calendar display payday or direct deposit settlement date information?

Calendars indicate paydays rather than direct deposit settlement dates.

24.   What are the paydays?

Payday is the second Friday following completion of the pay period. These rules also apply to employees who are not covered by collective bargaining.

If the payday falls on a Saturday, Sunday or holiday, then the last working day before such Saturday, Sunday or holiday will be the payday. For example, in December of 2021, the normal biweekly payday falls on the Friday when the Christmas holiday is observed, thus payday will be on the preceding Thursday, December 23.

We are here to assit you. Feel free to reach out.